Tuesday, April 5

And even mountains come crashing down.

We will forget today and what we said
and the tilt of the grimace
which you pulled off your face
when you saw I was looking.

I can rewind my VHS tapes and watch them again
and recall what parts made you say what things
and how your hands fluttered up in frustration
when you couldn't hit that note
or think of the phrase
or remember to ask how your parents had been.
I asked, they're fine.
The times of we, they have been dissected
and pulled apart to pieces of pasta
digested and spit back out.
I feel like we're still speaking
over that dinner in the summer
or was it the spring
where you had on a funny color
and I was wearing socks.
I never wear socks.

You loved that orange cup
and I kept picking up pieces of lint from the bathroom floor.
I don't think those leaves were ever so green again.
I'm writing this song I said I would
I think I showed you one time
but you didn't know so much
back then.

We did this thing where you'd find something to think on
and maybe you remember, maybe you don't
I'd think with you, like it was osmosis of the minds
and you'd hand me a rubber band
and I'd show you the right keys to press
and we made lots of food
to eat, and think over
how much we loved how easy this was.

You told me, on the street, when my nails were blue,
in one manner or the next
that it had been slow shades of goodbye
peeling back and back and further yet,
down to the very quick, since we had met at first,
when I was on the lawn,
and my nails weren't actually painted at all.
We knew, I knew.
It was to wreck this pretty picture
that we made it in the first place.

There was the once, when your window got broken.
Sorry about that.
Well, you busted up my sidewalk anyways
and I spilled something on your shoes,
so I guess it evens out.

I'll leave you back there,
from when I knew you
and not as the cold stranger
who really I could call
but honestly could I?
When a mountain falls, it meant to.
it wants to stay down and sleep
too tired too sad to be a bright spot
for us to look at
and wonder about how it went from that to this.
You'll stay back there. I like you there.





No comments:

Post a Comment