Sunday, August 30

Walk two moons

Oh, there you are.
There's a new moon out tonight.
But it was just whole last night.
Yes, it was.
That's scientifically impossible, Lily.
Hasn't anyone told you? There's two of them now.
So I'm not crazy?
No, don't worry. Some people even see three or four.
Having two up there is enough to make anyone cry;
I don't know how they handle it.
Her eyes flashed me a warning last night:
She told me to tell you to be careful.
I know. I only looked up once, I don't want him to know I saw.
It's hard to tear away though, I've never seen her kiss the stars,
or invite anyone to join her. She's becoming cold.
She's grieving.
His rays are different, tender almost. They love to play across my shoulder blades.
Sometimes when the roof is between he and I,
I can't help but smile at the thought of dancing beneath him tomorrow,
Lily, no.
But then I look to the East and she's still there, constant...stoic.
It took a while to conjure my truth and my only
with the taste of silver tingling beneath my tongue.
Silver. Lily, you've become prey.
I worried that she'd developed another pockmark watching me;
that I'd be watching her light snuff out with my next breath.
She's lost so many to him already.
So I held it until I could talk to her again.
But you look to be alive.
Well, I cheated. I had to breathe if I was ever going to climb
the vines to our meeting place on my home.
Don't think I don't feel guilty about it, already having strayed.
I could have cried when she smiled.
It's been two months since she's taken it out of her drawers.
I'd begun to think she was saving it for someone else.
She loves you, Lily, you know that.
But does understand how deeply I am bound to her?
I'm su-
I haven't told her. I haven't shown her. She needs a world fit to shine,
I could never give her that. Countless times I've pointed skywards,
only to be met with blank stares.
They don't see her.
I'm stripped and raw and bleeding.
the only love she'll ever be touched with is my own.
even now my skin's aflame!
She's dying without them, and you're telling me
they don't see her?! I said she's dying up there!
They're blind, darling. You have to understand
not even I have seen her clearly. I live too close to the new moon now.
He's got tricks for each of us.
No, not you...please. She's so scared.
This could be the last time we speak, Lily, he's pulling me in.
So you have to listen.
You're the only one of us who's resisted for this long.
You're the only one who can see her anymore,
possible the only one who's ever seen her face.
I struggle, ha, no, that's far too mild.
You know when a constellation blinks out for good, how you hear the world slung on it's own shoulder, heaving it's lament?
How the careening screech of metal and gears surrounds you when the machine keeping your dearest alive stop for good?
Do you remember having your soul ripped away from you?

imagining her alone is much, much worse.

She's told me I am enough, but I can't begin to believe her.
How could this starscreecher, a goliath,
think I wouldn't see the sorrow behind her eyes?
She could cry galaxies.
She wasn't lying, she just might not believe it yet.
You can't blame a monolith for grieving when it's facing it's death.
Give her everything you have, forget us.
He's not stopping until he takes everyone, is he?

We're waning fast, and we're not coming back.
We'll save you a spot in the infinite, dear.


No comments:

Post a Comment