Sunday, September 19

I had assumed we'd all picked our separate corners
and that was where we'd spend our time,
but it turns out there's a whole world to be seen
when you turn around.
And I never even noticed.

It seems daft, now. Now I know those long hours
that held hands to form years could have belonged to me,
rather than the corner. Minutes would tick and I'd form a blind contour,
following cracks and chips of paint with my fingers and eyes.
I thought if I scratched at them hard enough, I'd eventually get through to
wherever it was I wanted to go.
But two hands worth of bloody fingernails didn't earn me
what simply turning around would have.
An escape? I don't know that it would have been, to me.

I feel I would have taken one glance at that open rolling picture
and found a vicious fear had seized me, and that
I would have never opened my eyes again.
For all the words I have found to describe what it is I'm looking for,
I have found more numerous still those that would tell you why I have not
run to go and find it.


No comments:

Post a Comment